Attended vs. Unattended Studies
Sleep Study at a Sleep Disorders Facility (Attended by a Sleep Technician)
- PSG is the gold standard for diagnosing every type of sleep disorder.
- Patients with severe sleep apnea may have cpap therapy that same night (if a split study is ordered and the patient meets pre-defined criteria).
- Split tests can be ordered as the first study.
- Most patients only have a copay.
- Our Medical Director, who is board certified in Sleep Medicine, is available for consultations to discuss results or patients' concerns.
- Supervision of sleep studies is considered important to ensure that monitors are attached appropriately to the patient and don't become dislodged or fall off during the night.
Patient-Administered Sleep Study (Unattended)
- Unattended sleep studies can't detect central and mixed apneas, narcolepsy, RBD, parasomnias, nocturnal episodes, seizures, RL syndrome, and other sleep disturbances.
- Unattended sleep studies are not able to provide cpap therapy with the first study.